Monday, September 17, 2012

Starting not quite at the beginning

I've been running for about a year and a half now, and with the number of races I've done (still to be determined, but probably in the range of 20-40) ranging from 5Ks to marathons, it seems like it's time to start writing about the experiences, if only to help other people choose races. 
I love going on marathonguide.com to help pick my marathons (of which I've done three so far), but sometimes a blog is just more interesting, not to mention informative, to follow.  I can't promise to be incredibly entertaining, as I've read a fair number of witty and clever blogs.  Instead, I want this to be a place to reflect on what I've done as well as provide some feedback on my runs and races. 

Just a bit of background on myself.  I live in Atlanta, Georgia and work a demanding job (public accounting doing taxes) that has large peaks and valleys, so I expect there will be stretches during which I won't post, although as this becomes more routine, I'll try to keep them to a minimum.

I'm 25 and before a year and a half ago had never run, nor aspired to run, any sort of race in my life.  I grew up a bookworm and did not play any sports.  In fact, I've struggled with my weight most of my life, despite enjoying exercising on a fairly consistent basis.  Running has given me an outlet.  I consider myself to have somewhat of an "addictive" personality, and running has served to give me something healthy to latch onto. 

Running wise, I aspire to run a marathon in all 50 states.  How long that will take has yet to be determined.  3 down (Florida, Tennessee and California), 47 to go!  Additionally, I am exploring the world of ultramarathons, and running my first on November 3rd, which will be the Nashville Ultra Marathon of 50 Miles.

I just ran a local half marathon, the Heroes 1/2 Marathon in Hampton, GA, and will be running the Shoreline Sport & Spine's Oktoberfest Marathon in Spring Lake, MI in two weeks, so I'll provide feedback on those in the coming days and weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment