Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rearing and Ready to Go

Somewhat impulsively, I decided to sign up for the Southern Tennessee Plunge Marathon for this Saturday.  It's a tiny marathon (last year there were only 60 finishers in the marathon!) in Winchester, TN (a place I've never heard of), between Chattanooga and Nashville.  An additional upside is that I have a friend in Chattanooga who I may be able to visit before or after the race if our schedules end up meshing.

After my marathon on Saturday, I decided I would try running a short distance the day after the race, as I heard suggested somewhere through the grapevine that this could reduce soreness.  I ran only about 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill Sunday, but I felt Much better on Monday, surprisingly enough.  Hence, by Tuesday I felt mostly recovered and decided another marathon was in order! 

I plan on approaching this marathon much the same way as the last one - to enjoy the process and treat it as a training run, rather than a race.  Although I would like to go faster than the last one, because of course improvement is important to me, I don't plan on beating myself up either way.  My goal is to improve my training and finish the race successfully, without any injuries. 

This week I've been taking it easy.  I ran the 2.5 miles on Sunday and then 3.5 yesterday, but that's it!  I did go to my spin class on Tuesday and today, so I've gotten my cross training in.  I honestly don't think running too many miles, at least this week, would be ideal, given that I'm doing another marathon.  The three weeks prior to the Shoreline Marathon on Saturday I ran 10, 27 and 21 miles.  Yeah, crazy that I went out and ran a marathon with stats like that! 

Now off to get my hair cut and relax for the rest of the evening - or pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment